Naval Today
  • Vessels
  • Equipment & Technology
  • Operations
  • Capital Investments
  • Authorities
  • More news
JobsNewsletter
Naval Today logo

Your trusted source for naval and maritime news, part of the Navingo network.

Topics
  • Equipment & technology
  • Industry
  • Vessels
  • Operations
  • Training & Education
Network
  • NavalToday
  • Dredging Today
  • Offshore Wind
  • Offshore Energy
  • Maritieme Vacaturebank
Company
  • Advertising
  • Newsletter
  • Jobs
  • Report Your News
  • Privacy Policy

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Amphibious & Support Ships›Report: Australian amphibious assault ships damages caused by faulty maintenance
Amphibious & Support Ships

April 25, 2017 · about 9 years ago

Report: Australian amphibious assault ships damages caused by faulty maintenance

Faulty maintenance works are reportedly the reason why the Royal Australian Navy’s two Canberra-class landing helicopter docks spent the last month tied to port. Navy chiefs are now looking into what happened during maintenance works on the $1.5 billion warships, according to the Australian Daily Te

1 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

Faulty maintenance works are reportedly the reason why the Royal Australian Navy’s two Canberra-class landing helicopter docks spent the last month tied to port.

Navy chiefs are now looking into what happened during maintenance works on the $1.5 billion warships, according to the Australian Daily Telegraph, who wrote that even basic tasks like oil changes have been botched.

The engineering issues prevented both ships from taking part in cyclone Debbie relief operations in March this year.

The Navantia-built HMAS Canberra and HMAS Adelaide have been sidelined for more than a month and officials are not sure how long it will be before the ships are operational again, the report said.

Speaking on Network Ten, Australia’s minister for defense industry Christopher Pyne said one of the helicopter docks experienced a propulsion issue during maneuvers at sea while subsequent checks revealed both ships experienced the same issue. Pyne said the problem “certainly had nothing to do with oil” but did not want to specify what exactly caused the problems.

The minister also played down reports which said the repairs could take up to six month to complete.

At 230 meters, HMAS Adelaide and HMAS Canberra are the largest ships ever built for the Australian Navy. Canberra was commissioned in 2014 and Adelaide in 2015.

Reach the Naval Today industry in one go!

Naval Today is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow Naval Today on:

Filed under

Amphibious & Support ShipsVesselsAuthoritiesEquipment & technologyAviationFundingPropulsionBusiness & Finance

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1Vessel hit by projectile while transiting Strait of Hormuz
  2. 2Australia and US test subsea and seabed warfare capabilities
  3. 3Raytheon wins USD 22.9 billion contract to deliver Tomahawk missiles to U.S. Navy
  4. 4Ultra Maritime tests autonomous technology for counter-UUV and ASW

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free