Naval Today
  • Vessels
  • Equipment & Technology
  • Operations
  • Capital Investments
  • Authorities
  • More news
JobsNewsletter
Naval Today logo

Your trusted source for naval and maritime news, part of the Navingo network.

Topics
  • Equipment & technology
  • Industry
  • Vessels
  • Operations
  • Training & Education
Network
  • NavalToday
  • Dredging Today
  • Offshore Wind
  • Offshore Energy
  • Maritieme Vacaturebank
Company
  • Advertising
  • Newsletter
  • Jobs
  • Report Your News
  • Privacy Policy

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Surface Vessels›Australian frigate lands CMF’s first drug seizure of 2019
Surface Vessels

January 14, 2019 · about 7 years ago

Australian frigate lands CMF’s first drug seizure of 2019

Royal Australian Navy frigate HMAS Ballarat seized over 3.1 tons of hashish in the Arabian Sea during an operation that took place on January 8 and 9. The seized drugs are worth an estimated $155 million and are the first narcotics seized by a Combined Maritime Forces member in 2019. The fishing ves

2 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

Royal Australian Navy frigate HMAS Ballarat seized over 3.1 tons of hashish in the Arabian Sea during an operation that took place on January 8 and 9.

The seized drugs are worth an estimated $155 million and are the first narcotics seized by a Combined Maritime Forces member in 2019.

The fishing vessel, known as a dhow, was believed to be engaged in illegal activity when Combined Task Force 150 (CTF 150) of the Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) directed Ballarat to board the vessel and conduct a flag verification check.

Ballarat’s boarding team searched the dhow and seized the hashish. The drugs were transferred to Ballarat for disposal.

Commanding officer of HMAS Ballarat, Commander Paul Johnson, said the boarding team conducted the night-time boarding professionally. He said the team found the drugs hidden in voids around the vessel.

“The seizure is a reflection of the continued trade in illegal narcotics which has the potential to fund terrorist groups across the region,” Commander Johnson said.

“HMAS Ballarat is contributing to the Australian government’s mission to ensure Middle East regional maritime security. Ballarat and her crew remain ready to continue that mission during our deployment on Operation Manitou.”

Commander CTF 150, Commodore Darren Garnier of the Royal Canadian Navy, said the seizure would disrupt revenue supplies to terrorist organisations and was a good start to the new year.

“As CTF 150 marks its sixth seizure in six weeks, our successes demonstrate the value of the coordinated efforts of the CMF international naval partnerships,” Commodore Garnier said.

“As a team, we are actively disrupting the use of the high seas by terrorist organisations and denying them freedom of action in order to promote maritime stability and prosperity in the region.”

This is the third interdiction of narcotics by Ballarat since arriving in the Middle East in November last year on operation Manitou.

Ballarat seized more than 900kgs of heroin worth more than $279 million after boarding two vessels on 21 and 23 December 2018.

Operation Manitou is Australia’s contribution to Combined Maritime Forces operations, a 33-navy partnership which promotes maritime security, stability and prosperity in the Middle East region.

Reach the Naval Today industry in one go!

Naval Today is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow Naval Today on:

Filed under

Surface VesselsVesselsAuthoritiesOperationsFundingBusiness & Finance

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1France takes over command of NATO security task force in Northern European waters
  2. 2Babcock strengthens UK-Danish naval partnerships
  3. 3Amentum joint venture joins Australia nuclear submarine shipyard project
  4. 4Rheinmetall to supply Danish Armed Forces with MASS decoy system

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free