Top News of the Week May 27 – June 1, 2013
The Philippine Navy’s new warship, the BRP Ramon Alcaraz, began sea trials on Monday, according to GMA News. The ship set sail from North Charleston, South Carolina at 8:30 a.m. Monday (US time). BRP Ramon Alcaraz was subjected to refurbishment and refitting which cost $15.15 million. The maintenance started last year.
Russia will decommission and scrap two of the largest submarines in the world by 2018, a defense industry source told RIA Novosti on Tuesday.
The Chinese State Oceans Administration said that three of their navy ships ordered Japanese vessels to leave the area near the disputed Diaoyu Islands, according to Latin American Herald Tribune. The Japanese ships entered into the waters of the disputed islands and committed infractions.
The Los Angeles-class submarine USS Bremerton (SSN 698) returned to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam after completing a seven-month deployment to the Western Pacific region, May 30. ”Bremerton completed a very successful deployment to the Western Pacific fully accomplishing all assigned tasking for a variety of missions,” said Cmdr. Caleb Kerr, Bremerton commanding officer.
The final delivery of the Italian FREMM “Carlo BERGAMINI” was held today at the Fincantieri shipyard in Muggiano (La Spezia).
The Russian government is ready to step in to sort out the crisis in Russian naval shipbuilding, which is threatening to derail the defense procurement program, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said.