The South Korean Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) announced the construction start of a second Dokdo-class amphibious assault ship on Friday, April 28. The keel-laying ceremony was held at Hanjin Heavy Industries & Construction Co. in Busan, according to DAPA. The first Dokdo-class
The Finnish Defence Forces have signed a contract with Rauma Marine Constructions (RMC) for the design of the Finnish Navy’s four Squadron 2020 project multirole corvettes. The 7.5 million euro design contract follows the Memorandum of Understanding that was signed between the Defence Forces and RMC
A report on the Australian government’s handling of the Future Submarine acquisition was complimented by the Australian National Audit Office (ANAO) in a report released on April 27. Commenting on the report, Australia’s Minister for Defence Industry said the ANAO has independently verified that the
Royal Navy’s Type 45 destroyer HMS Daring departed Constanta, Romania, on April 27 after a two-day visit and exercises with the Romanian Navy. The Portsmouth-based warship visited Constanta for a routine port visit on her way home after supporting maritime security operations in the Persian Gulf. De
The U.S. Navy announced it would christen its newest Virginia-class fast attack submarine, the future USS Indiana (SSN 789), on Saturday, April 29, at Huntington Ingalls Shipyard in Newport News, Virginia. U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, who previously served as the 50th governor of Indiana, will de
Royal Australian Navy frigate HMAS Ballarat and Royal Canadian Navy ships HMCS Ottawa and Winnipeg recently completed a series of underway exercises in the waters of South East Asia. The exercises, conducted in international waters from 19-21 April, included close quarters manoeuvring, practicing re
The U.S. Navy, together with Raytheon, completed the preliminary design review (PDR) for the new Enterprise Air Surveillance Radar, confirming system development is on track for delivery to the designated ship classes. EASR is the U.S. Navy’s advanced radar for aircraft carriers and amphibious warfa
Members of the Five Power Defence Arrangements started exercise Bersama Shield 2017 on April 27 in Malaysia and Singapore. The long-running Bersama exercise series aims to enhance the interoperability between the founding members of the Five Power Defence Arrangements (FPDA) – Australia, Malaysia, N
All members of the NATO alliance have, for the first time ever, adopted a recently-developed standard for underwater acoustic communications. The standard is called Janus and was developed by NATO Science and Technology Organization’s Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation (CMRE). “This ma
The U.S Navy has awarded General Dynamics Electric Boat a $95.5 million contract modification to continue development of the Common Missile Compartment for the U.S. Navy’s Columbia-class submarine and the Royal Navy’s Dreadnought-class ballistic-missile submarine. The contract modification will enab
A U.S. Navy helicopter embarked on Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Dewey crashed in waters near Guam on Thursday, the U.S. Navy said. The entire crew of the MH-60R helicopter, including two pilots and one aircrewman, were safely recovered by USS Dewey (DDG 105) and suffered no apparent injuries. T
The U.S. Navy’s Virginia-class attack submarine USS New Mexico concluded a regularly scheduled deployment and returned to Naval Submarine Base New London in Groton, Connecticut, April 26. Under the command of Cmdr. Dan Reiss, the nuclear-powered boats and her crew returned from a deployment to the U
U.S. Navy’s Independence-variant littoral combat ship USS Jackson (LCS 6) tested its SeaRAM missile against an aerial drone, destroying the target in a test off the Southern California coast, April 22. The drone was simulating an anti-ship missile as part of a combat system ship qualification trials
In addition to being delayed, German Navy’s new Multi-role Combat Ship 180 (Mehrzweckkampfschiff MKS 180) will come with an additional cost of over €500 million, according to media reports. A letter sent by deputy defense minister Markus Gruebel to lawmakers on Tuesday said the extra €500 million ar