Salvage of INS Sindhurakshak Set to Begin
The Indian Ministry of Defence (MoD) is about to launch the salvage of the Navy’s Kilo-class submarine named INS Sindurakshak.
Namely, the Mumbai-based Western Naval Command is expected to ink the contract and issue work orders shortly, the India Today reports.
Multiple explosions blasted on INS Sindurakshak on August 14 last year, killing 18 crewmembers aboard the submarine.
Admiral DK Joshi, the Chief of Naval Staff, last month said that three firms had been shortlisted for the salvage work adding that they could be revealed any day. It is said that the contract will be awarded to a foreign company.
Duration of the work will be about five months.
|INS SINDHURAKSHAK SPECIFICATIONS|
|Displacement||2325 tons surfaced, 3076 tons submerged|
|Speed|| Surfaced: 10 knots (19 km/h),
Snorkel Mode: 9 knots (17 km/h),
Submerged: 17 knots (31 km/h)
|Complement||Seven officers and 61 ratings|
|Range|| Snorkel Mode: 6,000 mi (9,700 km) at 7 kn (13 km/h)
Submerged: 400 miles (640 km) at 3 knots (5.6 km/h)
Naval Today Staff, January 30, 2014; Image: Wikimedia