France to Deliver 20 pct Equipment for Russian Mistrals


France will deliver about 20% of equipment for the second two Mistral-class ships with direct involvement of Rosoboronexport, the rest 80% will be produced in Russia, told Director General of JSC Rosoboronexport Anatoly Isaikin in the interview to Kommersant published on Friday.

The EUR 1.2-bln contract for construction of two French Mistral-class assault landing ships for Russian Navy was signed in June 2011. The first helicopter carrier will be constructed in France in 2014, the second one – in 2015, third and fourth ones will be built in Russia.

“Rosoboronexport will take part in this contract [second two Mistrals for Russian Navy] only in a part related to delivery of import equipment. In percentage terms, French shipyards will produce 20%, and 80% will be manufactured by USC [United Shipbuilding Corporation]”, Isaikin said.

According to him, those 20% will be regarded as import of services and equipment, and that is just what Rosoboronexport will do in the second part of the contract [third and fourth ships].

Isaikin reminded that after commissioning of two first Mistrals into Russian Navy defense ministry would receive French technologies including those for construction of Mistral carriers. So, Russian military will have to negotiate with USC on procurement of second two ships then. After that, it will be a contract for building ships but not exporting them from abroad, explained the head of Rosoboronexport.

Displacement of multipurpose assault landing ship Mistral is 21,000 tons; overall length is 210 meters; speed is over 18 knots; fuel range is up to 20,000 miles; crew is 160 men plus 450 marines if needed; air wing includes 16 helicopters including six placed on the flight deck. According to Russian Navy’s plans, each Mistral-class ship will carry eight Ka-52K and eight Ka-29 helicopters on board.

Source: rusnavy, September 26, 2011