Minister for Defence Materiel to Visit US Pacific Command Next Week
Minister for Defence Materiel Jason Clare will visit US Pacific Command next week to meet with senior US Defense officials and regional analysts to discuss Alliance cooperation and capability matters.
Pacific Command’s area of responsibility encompasses around half the Earth’s surface, and is home to more than 50 per cent of the world’s population in 36 countries, including Australia.
Mr Clare will depart today and return on Saturday after holding talks with key Pacific Command officials including the head of US Pacific Command, Admiral Robert Willard.
The Minister will also meet with:
- Major General Michael Keltz, Director for Plans and Policies (Pacific Command);
- Rear Admiral Paul Becker; Director for Intelligence (Pacific Command);
- Captain Hugh Wetherald (Pacific Fleet);
- Captain Daryl Caudle (Pacific Fleet Submarine Force); and
- a range of Pacific Command analysts.
Mr Clare will also participate in roundtable discussions with officials from the Asia Pacific Center for Security Studies and Pacific Forum Center for Strategic and International Studies.
Mr Clare will also participate in the American Australian Leadership Dialogue at the East-West Center for discussions on key regional and Defence issues.
Source: navy, October 05, 2011